If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower so you can stay up to date with all my bloggy goodness.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

mosaic napkin rings

If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower, so you can keep up with all my bloggy goodness.

Here's a simple craft for kids of all ages. While watching the Macy's parade on Thanksgiving morning, I helped my children make fall-themed mosaic napkin rings to place on the table for our big meal.  Katie had a great time tossing the tissue paper into the air, before smacking them into place on the napkin rings, while Alex was creative and made "3D" versions of the craft by folding the paper in half before gluing it on.


Materials: Red, orange, and yellow tissue paper, cut or torn into small pieces.  Red cardstock cut into 1.5 inch x 3 inch strips.  Glue.  For quick drying, we used glue sticks, but white glue would probably work better.  A stapler with staples.  Patience and a vacuum cleaner also come in handy.


Glue tissue squares to card stock in any pattern you desire. 


See? Nothing on the back.  That way, your ring doesn't accidentally get glued to your napkin if you're a last-minute-mama like me.  When you're finished, curl the ring into an appropriately-sized circle and staple. Cut off excess.


We also cut out and colored some leaves to use as place holders.


The finished table was pretty casual.  Everyday plates paired with paper napkins.  I did pull out the good silverware, though.  Mr. Hull set the table for me.  I think he did a great job.  The napkin rings are wrapped around the napkins and the place cards are laying on the plates.  The centerpiece is just a simple pillar candle on a solid white plate, surrounded by real leaves.  And, the runner?  Four pieces of fall fabric that I had picked up over the summer and had not yet turned into something fancy.  I like the patchwork effect and have folded these up to use again next year.



A Thanksgiving Fable

by Oliver Herford

It was a hungry pussy cat,
upon Thanksgiving morn,
And she watched a thankful little mouse,
that ate an ear of corn.
"If I ate that thankful little mouse,
how thankful he should be,
When he has made a meal himself,
to make a meal for me!
"Then with his thanks for having fed,
and his thanks for feeding me,
With all his thankfulness inside,
how thankful I shall be!"
Thus mused the hungry pussy cat,
upon Thanksgiving Day;
But the little mouse had overheard
and declined (with thanks) to stay.

3 comments:

  1. What a fun project! I started out with paper collage before I did glass mosaics, and it was so enjoyable--I used to have little scraps of paper show up all over the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to do a glass mosaic or two! But, for now, I settle for paper. It is much more kid and budget friendly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! And easy enough for the little ones to make!! I'm going to have them make these for Christmas this year :)
    JJ Zale

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails