If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower so you can stay up to date with all my bloggy goodness.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

twix cake

A dear friend celebrated her birthday last week with a super-fun party in her home.  As it was a potluck-ish event, I offered to bake her birthday cake. 

I was inspired in part by my peanut butter-chocolate cake that I baked for my own birthday awhile back.  It was so yummy and tasted just like a Reese's peanut butter cup.  Of course, I didn't want to pawn my own favorite cake off on my friend, so I asked what her favorite candy bar was.  What a good friend I am!   Turns out, it is the Twix bar.  Of course, through all of my searching the comprehensive boards of pinterest, I could not find a recipe for a Twix cake.  So, I had to improvise. 

I did happen upon Kat's Sweet Somethings' recipe for Double Salted Caramel Cake and thought it could work as a starting point.  Her dessert features brown sugar cake, caramel filling, and caramel icing.  Not quite right, but almost.  I took what she provided and tweaked it a bit.  I used the caramel filling (and her tutorial for making caramel is really fantastic, with pictures and everything), and iced the cake with a milk chocolate buttercream with caramel swirls across the top.  It was really, very good. 

Too bad I didn't think to take a picture after it was cut, but I didn't want to be that sort of crazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails