If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower so you can stay up to date with all my bloggy goodness.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

mashed potato pancakes

One of these days, I'll get around to taking pictures of the food that I'm preparing again, but just recording the recipe will have to be good enough for now.

When we were visiting my in-laws over Christmas, my husband's mother reintroduced me to an old concept.  She reused days-old mashed potatoes to make breakfast one morning.  I have a passing memory of my aunt doing the same thing one time when I was a kid, and I was intrigued. 

Last spring or summer, I made potato cakes using grated potatoes, but this was very interesting to me.  MIL took a couple of cups of mashed potatoes, mixed them with some self-rising flour and egg, and fried them up in patty-form.  And, they were pretty good.  With ketchup, they were delicious.  (almost anything is better with a condiment, after all). 

A couple of weeks later, I tried to recreate her recipe at home, but failed miserably.  I just couldn't get the consistency right, and then my cakes burnt in the pan.  Total letdown.  My husband swooped in and made the things edible, but I was looking for more than that.

So, last night I tried again.  Surprisingly, I turned out a dish that left my family wanting more. 

Mashed Potato Pancakes

You can start will leftover mashed potatoes, but I had cubed, home canned potatoes on hand, so that's what I used.  Hence, I'm not calling this "potato pancakes using mashed potatoes."

4 cups cubed potatoes, cooked to fork-tender.  (If using home canned potatoes, be sure to boil for ten minutes upon opening).
3 tablespoons of milk
3 tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of flour; more if necessary to achieve desired consistency
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup grated cheese.  Use your favorite.  I chose cheddar and pepperjack.
Garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and chives to taste.

Mash potatoes with milk and butter.  You'll find that canned potatoes have more liquid than fresh-cooked potatoes, so you may need more milk.  Mix to the consistency of thin mashed potatoes. 
Add flour, baking powder, cheese, and seasoning.  Mix.  Batter should resmble muffin batter-- think, but not gloppy.

Preheat an electric griddle to medium-low  Spoon batter onto griddle and flatten.  Cook 3-4 minutes per side, or until each side is sufficiently browned.  Place finish cakes on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven.  Serve with bacon and applesauce, or as desired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails