If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower so you can stay up to date with all my bloggy goodness.

Monday, September 6, 2010

what's in a name?

If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower, so you can keep up with all my bloggy goodness.


Last week, Kerin from Her Good Intentions posed a question on BlogFrog, an online blogging community (because, where else would a blogging community be located?)  She asked the following:
What do you think about using a child's real name while blogging? I know a lot of moms are against using their child's real name(s) while blogging or even chatting online. If you are someone who is against using a child's real name, why do you feel that way?

I use my children's real names and pictures when blogging.  When I first started, I called my son Master Hull and my daughter (once she came along), Little Miss Hull, as my blog was called Mrs. Hull's Musings.  But, it felt very impersonal and it was hard to keep up with.  Then, when I moved over to TattieTats and One Creative Housewife, I thought about using cutesy alternative monikers, but I decided against it. 

When I was a kid, everyone in my neighborhood knew my name.  It wasn't a big deal.  Now that the Internet has expanded our "neighborhoods," I can understand the caution.  But, I feel that my children are just as safe whether I use their names on my blog or not.  There are bigger fish to worry about.  I don't want them growing up in a house filled with paranoia and over-protectiveness.  They need some space to roam and the opportunity to feel safe in this great big world.

Mommy's laid back attitude about stranger safety is just part of this.  Our steadfast rule is, don't go with anyone other than Mom, Dad, or a grandparent (or uncle), ever.  period.  not if they know your name, not if they offer you candy.  never.  Other than that, what real measures can you take to actually protect your kids, as opposed to making you feel good, anyway?

So, what about you?  Do you use your children's actual names when blogging, or on Facebook, Twitter, etc?  Why or why not?  Join the discussion here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails