If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower so you can stay up to date with all my bloggy goodness.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

sesame street birthday bash

If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower, so you can keep up with all my bloggy goodness.

Katie turned two a couple of weeks ago and I have been such a slacker in regards to posting about her party.



Katie is a huge Sesame Street fan, so of course we had to base her party around her favorite friends.


 I made these cake toppers out of fondant, which was surprisingly easy to do.  They are sitting on top of a grocery-store cake.  What happened to the cake that I baked, you ask?  Well, that's a great question.  These little guys are on top of a store-bought cake because the one I had so laboriously prepared fell apart when I went to dirty ice it.  I was so concerned with it drying out because I baked it so early, that I used too much jam in the filling and should have skipped the simple syrup drizzle altogether.  As I unwrapped the cling wrap covering, my precious cake fell apart in my hands.  Oh the misery!  My wonderful husband saved the day by suggesting we purchase a cake for me to decorate.  Sing with me now, "He's a hero... he's a guy..."

See the lettering and the crayon scribbles?  I did those, too.  Yes, I know.  I work magic.

Katie was enthusiastic about getting a slice of her Sesame Street cake, too.  While I was modeling the characters, all she could do was sit and talk about them, and try to grab them a time or two, so I made sure that nobody chomped down on one of the muppets.  They did, however, meet their fate with the trash can about a week later.
As for decorations, I simply shunned the out-of-the-box Sesame Street decorations from my local party store.  Instead, I used primary colored tablecloths, balloons, homemade tissue poms, and blowers to set the stage.  The paper products were an assortment of red, green, yellow, and blue as well.  See that banner flying overhead?  That's simply cardstock triangles that I strung along a fishing line.  Pretty easy and effective.  
Can you see the party hats in that picture?  They are plain primary-colored hats that I bought locally.  Then, I printed out the facial features of the various characters and stuck them on with a glue stick.  The kids loved them and they were so easy to make!
For food, we had a mid-afternoon party so I kept it simple.  Chocolate chip cookies, pigs in a blanket, bagel pizzas, popcorn, cheese doodles, and party mix were gobbled down by everyone, but were super easy and stress-free.


 And, having the party at a park (and being blessed with fantastic weather for late October) helped me focus on the guests without having to worry too much about the house, whether everyone had a place to sit, and if I had put out enough toilet paper (excepting my friend Jannine and her husband, who had to dash to my house to use the potty since the park bathrooms were closed for the season.)


Happy, happy birthday to you! to you!
Happy, happy birthday to you! to you!
 You're good to grow, so let's count the candles and blow.......
Happy, happy birthday to you, to you, to you!

1 comment:

  1. I love the party hats. Simple and easy, but so cute. Great job on that party. Much classier than pre-printed stuff from the party goods stores.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails