If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower so you can stay up to date with all my bloggy goodness.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

plunge

We're going to do it.  John and I talked last night and we will be withdrawing Alex from public school and beginning to homeschool in about a week.  We had initially decided to make the switch at the start of his fifth grade year, this fall, but I figure that there's not much sense wasting anymore time in a system that is failing my son.

We'll be finishing out fourth grade here at home, focusing mostly on math and language arts.  These are the subjects he needs the most help in.  We'll also add in some history and science as interest allows, but we won't do much in the way of formal schooling in these two subjects until the fall.  This will give us the chance to ease into a more rigorous curriculum, while allowing Alex to explore his own interests through reading.

Additionally, I'm applying for Alex to continue his strings instruction through the public school.  He has been playing the viola since the fall and really enjoys it.  If all goes well, he should be able to continue in his orchestra class at the school in which he is currently enrolled.  I was surprised to learn that we are the first family in Roanoke City to attempt to be granted part-time enrollment, though there is a provision for it in the school board policies.  On the one hand, that means that we aren't competing with other homeschoolers for the space in the school.  However, that also means we're in uncharted territory and I don't really like the idea of being a pathfinder when I'm just now learning my way.


Fingers crossed and wish us luck.  This should be one hell of a ride.









This post was submitted as part of the Pour Your Heart Out Link Up at Things I Can't Say.

6 comments:

  1. Fingers crossed but I think it will be great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck... I have homeschooled for the past 12 yrs. It can be very rewarding and so worth! Best of luck with the partial enrollment thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, good luck indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you will do just fine. Taking it slowly into homeschooling is a fantastic idea (wish I had thought of it)! We don't have part-time enrollment here, but both my boys took speech/language therapy through the public schools. As in anything, be sure to read the fine print and ask a lot of questions.

    I'm your newest follower (and fellow homeschooler) from It's Hump Day hop. I blog at A Season for All Things; love to have you come for a visit!

    ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. -crosses fingers- good luck! Don't forget to get in some you time.

    New follower from the blog hop. Feel free to check out my blog and follow back :)

    http://slepperymind.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. hoping you have a seamless transition to homeschooling! stopping in from things I cant say linkup!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails