If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower so you can stay up to date with all my bloggy goodness.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

be mine, valentine

Happy Valentine's Day!  Do you have special plans for today?

We're going to a homeschool Valentine's Party this afternoon and it is going to be so much fun!  The kids made their valentines yesterday, for the first time ever.  In past years, I've resorted to the box valentines because, with the public school schedule of 8 hours a day plus homework, who has the time?  But, this year, we did!  Each child made their own V-day mailbox (a Tron disk for Alex and a heart basket for Katie) and a set of cards for their new-found friends. 






This is what Alex designed.  Isn't it cute?  He had a little help from me and we used Google's new photo editing software.  I'm so glad that picnik's tools are available on Google + now.  In fact, I'm tickled pink!  You see, I used to have to upload a photo, edit it, save to my computer, and the upload it again to blogger.  Now, it is so much simpler, but that's another story.

We printed out a bunch of these pictures on cardstock and then painted over them with a 2:1 mixture of black paint and dawn dish soap.  Then, he glued them onto white rectangles and wrote "Scratch Me" so that they resemble polaroids.   Thanks to photojojo for the idea!

Katie's valentine idea came courtesy of Martha Stewart, but I kind of outdid her, I think.


Martha cut candy button papers into heart shapes and then glued them onto larger hearts.  I went one step further and actually made the candy buttons as well.  And, let me tell you, my buttons taste a lot better than those funky store-bought ones.  Strawberry, anyone?  Oh, yes.


I used Ms. Stewart's royal icing recipe and inspiration from this handy candy button tutorial.    Don't you just love pinterest?  Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails