If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower so you can stay up to date with all my bloggy goodness.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Blogladesh

If you enjoy what you find here, be sure to subscribe or become a follower, so you can keep up with all my bloggy goodness.


I've tried to remain unaffected.  I've tried to avoid their blogs.  I've tried to keep my distance while three mummy bloggers (from the UK) traveled to Bangladesh to learn more about the struggles of the more than 9 million children who suffer and die in that country each year.  Save the Children has sponsored their trip and is hosting Sian, Eva, and Josie while they are in Bangladesh. 

But, try as I might, I catch glimpses of their blogs, bits of their twitter feed, and pieces of their hearts.  Those ladies are doing a great thing, spreading the stories of so many helpless children.  Their plight, described through words and pictures, might bring more help to their corner of the world.

To think, inflictions as common diarrhea take the lives of 9 million Bangladeshi children each year.  Diarrhea.  A common irritant here in the states, but one that can be cured so easily.   While we can easily monitor our children, take them to the doctor, feed them pedialyte, and generally nurse them back to health, the conditions in poverty-stricken countries are so poor that many children suffer and pass away.

I can't even wrap my head around it.  I can't fathom not being able to afford the care that my children needed for simple childhood illnesses.  So, I'm going to send you over to Josie's home, Sleep is for the Weak, where she will describe the importance of the work she's doing there.  Then, maybe more of us can come to understand.

I think it is a wonderful thing, what these mommy bloggers are doing, especially given the bad rap that mommy bloggers have gotten recently.  We aren't all sitting at home, watching soaps, eating bonbons, and blogging away our days.  Some of us really do make a difference.  So, be inspired by what these ladies are up to and find your own niche.  What can you do to change the world, one day at a time?  How can you make a difference?

Through our actions today, we can likewise inspire our children to do great things.  Take them with you, if possible.  Even little things like picking up trash in a park or delivering a lunch to a homeless person will make a mark on their tiny little lives.  Your moment of caring can transcend time, spreading through your children as they go on to volunteer in bigger and better ways as adults.  Imagine.  If a butterfly's tiny wings could possibly cause a huge hurricane, what will your selfless actions accomplish?

3 comments:

  1. It really is heartbreaking that children die because of diarrhea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting. The stories of these three bloggers remind me to be so thankful that I live in the time and place that I do today.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me about it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails